How To Reset Your DStv Decoder – Resetting a DStv simply means the process of restoring your decoder to factory settings. When you reset your DStv decoder, you remove every data and setting on your Digi-box back to the state in which it was when you bought it.
This might sound technical and complicated, but in actual fact, resetting your DStv decoder is very simple and easy. However, this is one of the many challenges people face with their satellite television.
At a point in time, your DStv decoders may encounter downtime or may go offline (loses the DStv signal). Once this happens, the only way to get your device back online is to reset your decoder.
For some, it’s difficult resetting their Multichoice decoder and this is why we have put together this step-by-step guide to help everyone. At the end of this article, you will know how to reset your DStv decoder to factory settings, rescan your DStv, and more.
Reasons For Hard Resetting
There are reasons why a DStv user might decide to reset his decoder. This differs from person to person. Sometimes your DStv keeps giving you challenges, and it may not function properly.
However, resetting your decoder will clear error codes and repair signal problems, also your If the DSTV package payment has failed to reflect, resetting the decoder will help, and lastly, in case you lost your pin, resetting will turn the decoder to factory settings.
How To Reset Your DSTV Decoder
As stated earlier, there are different reasons why a DStv user would want to reset his decoder. Resetting a decoder can either be done with a remote or manually. To do this with a remote, follow the steps below.
- Power on your DStv decoder.
- Check if you have batteries in your remote.
- Press any of the keys on the remote to see if a light blinks.
- That shows it can send a signal to the decoder.
- Now, press the blue button with DStv written on it.
- Next, press the arrow to the right of the “OK” on the remote.
- Each press takes you to the next sub-menu
- Press till it gets to “Settings” by the count you will press four times.
- Below the settings tab, scroll down to “System Settings“.
- Again a menu will pop up.
- Press the right arrow of the “OK” button on the remote.
- Next, scroll down to “Rest Decoder Settings” and press “OK“.
- The next screen will give you numerous reset options.
- In our case we are resetting to factory mode, so we will choose that.
- Scroll down to “Reset To Factory Default“.
- Now, press “OK“.
- Your DStv decoder will immediately reset to default as it was from the factory.
- Once the reset is complete, your DStv receiver will reboot.
To reset your DStv decoder without a remote, follow the steps below
- First, unplug the power button from your decoder and ensure it is completely turned off.
- Turn it back on and press the reset button on your decoder. It is marked and located on the front panel, making it very hard to miss.
- While you press the button, use your phone to dial the reset prompt from Multichoice. (Use your registered number so that it can be linked to your decoder).
- While this step is happening, your DStv decoder will blink to indicate the resetting. Once the prompt from your phone is complete, you can release the reset button.
Things Needed To Reset Your DSTV Decoder
There are a few things you need in order to reset your DStv decoder. As indicated earlier, you can reset your decoder with either remote control or manually.
However, when resetting your DStv decoder manually, you need to have your phone dial the reset prompt from Multichoice and also monitor the reset progress.
What Happens When You Reset Your DSTV Decoder
When you reset your decoder, you remove every data and setting on your Digi-box back to the state in which it was when you bought it. Below is what happens when you reset your DStv decoder.
- You will lose all your channels on your receiver.
- Your decoder will boot and be stacked on the installation wizard until you set it up.
- You will not be able to watch any channel after you have reset your decoder until you rescan it.
- Any settings you did on your receiver will be wiped.
- Your decoder will be restored to factory mode
- You will also lose recordings on the hard drive, as well as scheduled recording settings will be removed.